Monday, August 5, 2019

SJI Summer Day 32 - Shower Sump

Jones Island Photos
Crab Sentinel

Europa through the trees

Jones Island north anchorage

Jones Island path

Jones Island view

Jones - expansive view north to Spieden Island


One of our to-do items has been to check our shower sump. We know that access is difficult – you have to remove the two screws that attach the unit to the boat, and then twist it to get to two of the four screws that attach the lid to the unit. The trick is to do this only once, and then not replace the two lid screws that get hidden under the floor board.

So, I pulled out the tool bag and got to work. It was tricky, as the space is small…the bit of V-berth floor space between the head door and the bed base. The interior space is also tiny and it would have helped to have a longer extension to the screw driver.

It was only slightly gross once I got the cover off. Mostly innocuous soap scum…but it freaked me out a bit at first. It would have helped to have a turkey baster or something to remove water. I used a large sponge and paper towels to remove the water, scum, and clean it out as best I could. The filter, which was also difficult to remove and replace, needed a rinse but wasn’t too bad. (I don’t wash my hair in the boat, which probably helps!) This whole process took me at least an hour but I got the job done!

Another peaceful night - we moved to a buoy that opened up yesterday afternoon. Spent a good part of the day yesterday hanging out on the beach under the umbrella. 

We'll be off after breakfast - hopes for a calm crossing!

No comments:

Post a Comment