Thursday, August 22, 2019

SJI Summer Day 49 - Crocheted Baskets


It rained sporadically yesterday, clearing a bit in the evening. We got our “spa” day at the resort. A dip in the hot tub, then Nick hit the sauna while I found a quiet room to catch up on my yoga practice. (I haven’t been keeping up with this – more about that another time.) Then we played Pickle Ball. This was a first, although I played as a kid a few times. We play tennis, so we did okay. We need to find a way to keep playing – it’s fun and a good workout.

When we first arrived here on Monday, the nice couple a couple of slips away, invited us to take a look at their houseboat. The smaller cruiser next to it is theirs as well, which they use for crabbing and day trips. They own these two slips. After they retired, they built this houseboat in their backyard! They live here six months of the year, then head to the southwest where they keep an RV. What a life.

We continue to be entertained by the zillion little fish, especially when they are being chased and start hopping out of the water. We can see and hear this happen all over the marina. As you can imagine, there are quite a few herons that hang out here. We watched one standing on the dock, easily picking fish out of the water. These birds sure don’t have to work hard for a meal. The heron in this photo did not move as I got nearer. I finally stopped because I just didn’t want to get any closer. If you look closely, you might notice that this bird is standing on a dock that is carpeted. Yes, the owners of the big and beautiful Helmsman that is just out of the frame behind the heron, laid a long runner down the dock.

I've mentioned how nice this marina is - I did a load of laundry for three bucks. That's pretty good.

I’ve crocheted some baskets for use on the boat. I like them because they are soft and flexible – perfect for small spaces, and the likelihood of getting tossed about. The two oblong-shaped baskets are in the v-berth, and fit nicely on the long, narrow shelf along the sides – great for reading glasses, earplugs, earbuds, tissues, etc. I use one of the round ones in the head for hair ties, and the other on the “dash” for little stuff we reach for all the time. Useful…and really fun projects.

It blew hard last night. This afternoon looks good for departing for Sucia Island. We’ll see…

1 comment: